When you build civic technology it has the opportunity of touching millions of lives. Plus, you enter an industry – the public sector – that spends over $100 billion every year on technology.
Civic tech has tremendous opportunity.
But also real challenges: getting access to the right data, understanding the existing infrastructure, and knowing what to build are non-trivial questions.
In this course, we will go through the process of building good civic tech, and you’ll learn how to build tech that makes a difference in people’s lives.
- Understand and identify opportunities for civic application development
- Be able to connect to governmental data systems
- Be able to quickly build and deploy useful civic apps
- Be able to manipulate data from governmental systems into actionable datastores
- Build an application that uses civic and government data that addresses a real need
- Articulate the value proposition of your application to stakeholders
- Mathematics for Computer Science and Data Analysis
- Computer Science with Applications 2 OR
- Introduction to Programming or Data Skills for Public Policy
- Databases for Public Policy
More on the course
You can download a pdf verson of the full syllabus and course overview here.